Sunday, September 14, 2008

Rituals of Preparation

The information from the excerpt by Twyla Tharp makes so much sense to me. My conscious mind had never thought about the creative process, the rituals one does subconsciously before a task, but now after reading the arctile, I couldn't agree more with what she has to say. My biggest fears about the exercise are doing it wrong/not doing what I was asked to do and my project being average. The latter is more of a battle with myself, rather than wanting attention. I like to accomplish tasks in the best way I can, I want them to be great, in a way- extraordinary. I want to have the feeling within myself that I have done the best job I could have possibly done. 

The internet as a whole would be the biggest distraction from the creative process in my life. Since most of my home work is on the internet, and practically everything is done through the internet- I am found being on my laptop a lot. So to procrastinate, surfing through the internet, venturing through different sites, checking email every 5 mins takes up a whole lot of unnecessary time of mine. 

Giving up the internet as a whole for a week wouldn't quite be the smartest thing to do as my life does depend on it in terms of school, work etc., But giving up checking facebook, orkut could save some of my precious time to be more productive and efficient. I don't think it would be unbearable, as I believe in myself that I could do it and as I mentioned above- it would do a great deal for me to be more productive. So thats what's in it for me.  

No comments: